Rating: 5 Stars
Build Credit and Earn Rewards
|Regular APR:||13.74 (Variable)|
|Intro APR (Purchases):||None|
|Intro APR (Balance transfers):||None|
|Rewards Rate:||Earn Flexpoints Rewards – 1 point for every $1 spent|
|Credit Needed:||(0 – 300) Limited/No|
*See online credit card application for details on the terms and conditions.
- Click APPLY NOW to apply online
- Credit line starts at $500 and goes up to $100,000
- Competitive low rate
- Earn Flexpoints Rewards – 1 point for every $1 spent
- Use card responsibly and you can be automatically graduated to a Visa Platinum Credit Card
- Visa Platinum benefits like Travel and Emergency Assistance Services and Lost Luggage Reimbursement
- 25-day grace period on purchases
- ATM cash advance fee of $3.00 (no cost at teller)
- Ability to join SDFCU and apply at the same time
Is State Department EMV Savings Secured Visa Platinum worth it?
State Department EMV Savings Secured Visa Platinum is a great card for people looking to build credit who are State Department Federal Credit Union Members. The minimum deposit is $250, and the rewards program offers 1 point for every $1 spent, which is good for a secured card.
Through the redemption portal, cardholders can redeem rewards for airfare, merchandise, gift cards, gift certificates and repaid cards. Most gift cards or gift certificates are delivered within 7-10 business days. The prepaid cards, issued by Visa, may take up to 4-6 weeks for delivery and can only be shipped within the United States.
State Department EMV Savings Secured Visa Platinum also comes with several benefits that can be found on travel cards. With a low APR, this is a great card for people looking to put down a deposit to build credit.
- Build your credit
- Monthly reporting to all three credit bureaus
- A security deposit is required for this product: minimum of $250 is on the low-average end for secured cards. The security deposit is always equal to your credit limit
- Low APR
- Need to be eligible to join SDFCU either via employment in the Department of State, as a family member of a State Department employee, or as a member of an SDFCU organizational affiliate association. On the SDFCU website, they list American Consumer Council members as eligible, and you can become a member for $8 if you have made a large purchase as a consumer in the last 12 months. The purchase categories are very general, but if you don’t think you qualify you can pay $15 for lifetime membership.
Why 5 Stars?
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Balance Transfer Fee||None|
|Cash Advance Fee||Over the Counter: None; ATM: $3.00|
|$0 Fraud Liability|
|Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver|
|Extended Warranty Program|
|Lost Luggage Reimbursement|
|Travel and Emergency Assistance|
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by the issuer. Any opinion, analyses, reviews, or recommendations expressed on this page are those of the author?s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuer.
Credit Cards Research:
Best Credit Cards for 2021
These are the best credit cards for 2021.
Best Credit Cards for Excellent Credit
If you have excellent credit, check out these cards. These are the best cards for excellent credit with travel rewards and cash bonuses.
Best Credit Cards to Pay off Debt
The fastest way to pay off credit card debt is by transferring a balance to a 0% APR credit card. These are the best balance transfer cards on the market.