Rating: 4 Stars
Bonus for Travelers Who Fly United From Time to Time
|Regular APR:||18.24 – 25.24% (Variable)|
|Intro APR (Purchases):||None|
|Intro APR (Balance transfers):||None|
|Rewards Rate:||2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants, hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel, and purchases from United|
|Credit Needed:||(740 – 850) Excellent|
|Annual Fee:||None, then $95|
*See online credit card application for details on the terms and conditions.
- Click APPLY NOW to apply online
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants
- 2 miles per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel
- 2 miles per $1 spent on purchases from United, including tickets, Economy Plus, inflight food, beverages and Wi-Fi, and other United charges
- 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Up to $100 as a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee for either program when charged to your card
- The primary cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free
Is United MileagePlus Explorer Card worth it?
United MileagePlus Explorer is a great card for travelers who fly United from time to time. The annual fee is waived the first year, then it?s $95.
Cardholders earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants, hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel, and purchases from United. United Miles are worth about one to one and a half cents depending on if you redeem for the cheaper Saver fare or for the Everyday fare, which has more availability, so the 40,000 mile signup bonus is worth $400 ? $600 in United airfare.
Cardholders also receive $100 as a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck? every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee for either program when charged to your card.
Although the perks are not close to United MileagePlus Club, a premium $450 annual fee card, Cardholders receive 2 one-time United Club passes, a free first checked bag, and get priority boarding, which means they will board in Group 2, after members who have Premier status. Note that you will need to provide a same-day boarding pass to use your United Club pass.
There are very similar co-branded cards: Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express earns 2 miles on every purchase you make with Delta, American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp earns 2 AAdvantage miles on every purchases at grocery stores, including grocery delivery services, and 2 AAdvantage miles with American Airlines, and Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard earns 2X miles for every one dollar spent on eligible American Airlines purchases.
If you anticipate flying United from time to time, United MileagePlus Explorer is a great card for you.
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants, hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel, and purchases from United
- Annual fee waived in first year
- Priority boarding
- Up to $100 as a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck every 4 years
- $95 annual fee starting in second year
Why 4 Stars?
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Balance Transfer Fee||Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Fee||Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater|
|$0 Fraud Liability|
|Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver|
|Baggage Delay Reimbursement|
|Emergency Card Replacement|
|Emergency Cash Disbursement|
|Extended Warranty Protection|
|Lost Luggage Reimbursement|
|Travel Accident Insurance|
|Travel and Emergency Assistance|
|Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Reimbursement|
|Trip Delay Reimbursement|
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by the issuer. Any opinion, analyses, reviews, or recommendations expressed on this page are those of the author?s alone, and may not have been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuer.
Credit Cards Research:
Best Credit Cards for 2021
These are the best credit cards for 2021.
Best Credit Cards for Excellent Credit
If you have excellent credit, check out these cards. These are the best cards for excellent credit with travel rewards and cash bonuses.
Best Credit Cards to Pay off Debt
The fastest way to pay off credit card debt is by transferring a balance to a 0% APR credit card. These are the best balance transfer cards on the market.